Some of the qualifications include:
- Totally Chlorine Free (TCF): papers that have been bleached without any chlorine - or have not been bleached at all.
- The paper mills have purchased materials from suppliers near their facilities. This shortens their supply chain and reduces risk. It also allows them to know the local suppliers and ensure they produce the materials and services they need responsibly in addition to strengthening the local economy.
- Acid free
- 100% ECF virgin fiber
- Using natural and wind energy during the production process when possible
Our handmade papers take the cake when it comes to sustainability and the environment. Not only is it a beautiful craft but it is handmade using 100% recycled cotton rag and pre consumer waste (envelope trimmings made from wood fibers).
- They are tree and chemical-free with every aspect of the paper-making process since it is being done by hand. Compared to a conventional paper mill, the handmade paper manufacturing process uses much less energy per ton of the paper produced, thus significantly contributing much less towards pollution and global warming.
- In many cases, handmade paper making uses solar energy for drying.
Sources include: Legion Paper, Domtar, Silk & Willow and Porridge Papers