Being responsible with our materials
The materials we use and how they are made is important to us. Not only do we want to deliver a beautiful and functional piece of stationery; but we want that piece to be environmentally responsible as well. Paper is the main ingredient in our product and that is why it means so much to us that it is coming from a quality source.
We select papers that are sustainably sourced and use environmentally conscious practices for production and energy creation.
Some of the qualifications include:
- Totally Chlorine Free (TCF): papers that have been bleached without any chlorine - or have not been bleached at all.
- The paper mills have purchased materials from suppliers near their facilities. This shortens their supply chain and reduces risk. It also allows them to know the local suppliers and ensure they produce the materials and services they need responsibly in addition to strengthening the local economy.
- Acid free
- 100% ECF virgin fiber
- Using natural and wind energy during the production process when possible
Our handmade papers take the cake when it comes to sustainability and the environment. Not only is it a beautiful craft but it is handmade using 100% recycled cotton rag and pre consumer waste (envelope trimmings made from wood fibers).
- They are tree and chemical-free with every aspect of the paper-making process since it is being done by hand. Compared to a conventional paper mill, the handmade paper manufacturing process uses much less energy per ton of the paper produced, thus significantly contributing much less towards pollution and global warming.
- In many cases, handmade paper making uses solar energy for drying.
Knowing that the product we put into the world has been created with the our earth and local communities in mind means everything to us and we are proud to support our chosen suppliers efforts.
Sources include: Legion Paper, Domtar, Silk & Willow and Porridge Papers